Thursday, April 26, 2018

[2018.04.27] DIRECTOR TRIES EVERYTHING TO CHEER UP KATHY YUEN

courtesy of on.cc
courtesy of singtao.com

The film WHEN SUN MEETS MOON (MAU YUT MAU YUET) was selected as the closing film for England's East Winds Film Festival. Director Benny Lau Wai Heng was greatly pleased. "When I first made becoming a director my goal, I not only wanted to make subjects that I liked but also hoped to be able to exchange and share ideas with filmmakers of different places. This time WHEN SUN MEETS MOON received the attention and recognition from England's East Winds Film Festival, I feel deeply honored. It's a big shot of confidence before the film's release."

Lead actress Kathy Yuen (Tong Yi) in WHEN SUN MEETS MOON opened the eyes of many with her refreshing student look. Her emotional performance in the film already captured fans' hearts during its Beijing screenings. Kathy admitted, "For my first female lead role, everyday at work was very stressful. In order to completely enter the character, didn't have much expression on the set. The crew couldn't help but ask all day, 'Are you upset?'" In order to ease the tension, Benny tried everything to cheer Kathy up. However things never went the way he wanted. "I am the master of harmony, as I hope everyone would be happy. I remember when we shot the mother and daughter argument scene at the Wah Fu Estate, Kathy completely ignored everyone. I couldn't help but ask, 'Did we do something to upset you?'" Kathy said, "That day Maggie (Siu Mei Kei) ignored me. When the director asked me this question, my tears were about to flood out because Maggie's acting was truly great!"

Playing Kathy's Mommy, Maggie often saw her "daughter" reading the script alone. She felt that this was a required stage for new comers with their first lead. "Just like I was before, many people thought I was very cool. I only knew to bury my head in the script and read because keeping my mind on my own script truly was very important!" In the face of an elder like Maggie, Kathy at first was a little afraid and did not dare to take the initiative to chat with her. Maggie understood that very well. "When I was still new, I saw (Anita) Mui Yim Fong at the television station. Even though we weren't working on a series together, I would be just as scared too." As they became familiar, Maggie urged Kathy to let go and not let the stress strangle her. "I told her, making a movie should be a pleasure. She should cherish her time with the team, that type of relationship was the happiest!"

Maggie unconditionally taught her a valuable lesson, which Kathy sincerely appreciated. "Maggie was right, there was a lot that truly needed to overcome. I have to be strong and take my first step!" At the end of the shoot, the mother and the daughter were reluctant to part. "Thus, during the promotional period I was very happy to be able to see 'Mommy' again!" Kathy said.

No comments:

Post a Comment