Thursday, October 2, 2014

[2014.10.03] ANDY LAU NAMES SAMMO HUNG THE LEAD ACTOR

courtesy of singtao.com
The 60 year old Sammo Hung is still energetic and enthusiastic about work, giving him the admiration of a well known hard worker like Andy Lau
courtesy of mingpao.com

Andy Lau Tak Wa and Sammo Hung Kam Bo worked together again on the film LO WAI BING (OLD GUARD). This time Big Brother Big even directed and starred. Wa Jai revealed, actually he read this script first. He said, "After I asked boss (Bill) Kong Chi Keung if he was interested, I asked Big Brother Big if he was interested in directing. Then I asked him to perform too, actually I beg him to perform first. Later he felt that a character was suitable for me and asked me to play it."

This is Big Brother Big directed and starred, was it tough on him? He said, "Absolutely no problem, it's my specialty -- just a simple dish." What kind of character would he play? He again displayed his humorous nature and said, "I play a person." Wa Jai laughed and said, "I am the animal." Big Brother Big said that this time he played a retired bodyguard, telling a post retirement story. Wa Jai was his neighbor, someone who did not know how to take care of his family, woman and daughter. He gambled and drank. Has Wa Jai rarely played this type of characters? He admitted, "It was a huge challenge, I really am not (like that)."

Wa Jai once said that years ago he worked with Big Brother Big, who built a foundation for his action films. Hung Kam Bo said, "He was young then, and handsome too. I really liked him. At the time I hoped that I wouldn't make a mistake with him. If I did, the road that followed would be very difficult for him." He also said that at the time he did not want to make Wa Jai handsome. Instead he wanted him to make his action convincing and cool. Did Wa Jai meet his requirement? Big Brother Big laughed and said, "He did. If not, he would have a lot longer to suffer." He remembered that one scene back then took a very long time to shoot, because he wanted to hone Wa Jai.

They talked about their changes over the years. Big Brother Big pointed out that Wa Jai now has more urgency about shaping the character. Wa Jai pointed out that Big Brother Big's personality and all of his attitude never changed, but he would continue to keep up with the times. Many veteran directors nowadays would not follow special effects exactly, Big Brother Big now is still studying. Thus his work would never lose touch with the times. Was Big Brother Big very humorous when directing? Big Brother Big suddenly got serious and said, "I am very solemn. I don't know humor. I am an ancient antique, I don't know how to tell jokes. I only know that I am very different from before. I used to 20, today I am 60, hahahaha."

Wa Jai once said that Big Brother Hung Kam Bo was willing to admit defeat. Big Brother Big said, "I can't say I don't admit defeat, but I can't say I admit defeat either. The society is moving, you can't stop. I have to follow along." He admitted that back then when he went to the U.S. for awhile, it was very tough after coming back because he had to catch up with film equipment and technique. He said, "I never told anyone, actually I had a very hard time with the chase. When I made DETECTIVE DEE I chased, when I made THREE KINGDOMS I also had to chase." Wa Jai pointed out that Big Brother Big actually was not afraid of losing. He was willing to make new attempts. Some things he might not be able to grasp but he would still try them. Was Wa Jai afraid of losing? He joked, "No, you can tell from my investments. Many films have to be a little daring, sometimes if I don't take my own way, I may feel very uneasy inside. I have lost before, so I lost."

Wa Jai and Big Brother Big had a lot to talk about before. They would talk about food, exercises and health. Hung Kam Bo joked, "We talked about whether to use the back teeth or the front teeth to chew, haah." Wa Jai said that Big Brother Big and Sister in Law Joyce Godenzi (Go Lai Hung) knew that he was vegetarian. During the shoot they would make vegetarian soup for him. Speaking of Sister in Law's revelation of Big Brother Big's love for corn, Big Brother Big clarified, "Because during the shoot, corn was just planted nearby. Several months later they matured, I thought I definitely had to have my fill. Actually I didn't particularly like to have it. When you pick them to eat yourself it is quite a pleasure, it is particularly delicious." Did Wa Jai also remind Big Brother Big to have more healthy food? Big Brother Big chimed in, "How do you know I am not healthy, my principle is to eat anything that I can digest and has nutrition. The exceptions would be metal and wood." Wa Jai pointed out that Big Brother Big was already in better control than before. Now he would even take vitamins. Big Brother Big said, "The vitamins knew to grow inside the body before; now the vitamins are all gone, so I have to take them."

No comments:

Post a Comment