Wednesday, April 2, 2014

[2014.04.02] STAR CLASS COLUMN: BIG KID EKIN CHENG

Ekin Cheng picks up a snake and asks for a photo
courtesy of mingpao.com

Speaking of my history with Ekin, I have to go back to the ensemble of TOKYO RAIDERS (DUNG GAING GUNG LEUK) and HOT WAR (WAN YING DUT GUNG) and thus have a chance to know this big kid who is known for mischief, Dior Cheng Yi Kin. HORSEPLAY brings us together again, my impression of him has not changed. He still is an energetic and cool big kid.

Ekin in HORSEPLAY plays a pipe smoking detective, a smart and honest cop; director Lee Chi Ngai who works with Ekin for the first time originally designs this character as more introverted and silent, but after contact with Ekin he immediately makes changes to give Ekin more room to perform. The character is then made very energetic.

Ekin and I in the film are considered happy rivals, from the start because he spoils my story I have to keep arguing with him. In the end I end up chasing him down to hit him!

In one scene "Nine Tailed Fox" Tony Leung Ka Fai and I in order to escape bad guys' pursuit jump on a train, I also has to secretly leave a trace for Ekin to follow; for this scene the director actually chooses to shoot at the peak traffic hour in th busiest city center of Prague, but he does not want too many pedestrians in the shot! Thus, Brother Ka Fai and I wander on the street, jumping on the departing train time and after. Then I have to look back and wink at Ekin who just catches up with the train. I watch him run and run, but he does not look tired at all. Instead his expression is more and more mischievous each time.

Another HORSEPLAY scene with Ekin that is very memorable for me is the maze carnival, with a variety of clowns, acrobats, gypsy tents and mechanical rides. During breaks, the child in Ekin acts up again as he suddenly picks up the boa to scare me and demands photos; I of course do not show my weakness, as I pick up a little snake for a photo with him. I even drag him to the cage to pet a lion cub.

Ekin says that his impression of Prague is very happy, a simple dish becomes unexpectedly delicious! I have the same sentiment, especially on the vineyard location shoot. The weather is great, Ekin and I sit in a convertible "antique car" and lead the camera crew on an European country drive. When we test the marks, Ekin and I take the chance to take a few laps on a joyride. After the ending scene, the team even gathers in the winery for a party and celebrate the successful location shoot.

- KELLY CHEN WAI LAM

No comments:

Post a Comment