Friday, September 18, 2009

[2009.09.19] WILLIAM CHAN EXPLAINS FILM SIMILARITIES

courtesy of singtao.com
courtesy of takungpao.com

William Chan Wai Ting yesterday promoted his new film SPLIT SECOND MURDERS (SEI SUN SOR LIU). Reportedly the film was very similar to Universe's 7 TO ONE - PLAY BIG (GUAN YUN 7 SI). The cast was 80% the same. SPLIT started production later than 7 but was released earlier, which upset 7 boss Daneil Lam Siu Ming and director Pang Fat. Chan Wai Ting who took place in both films felt that the only similarity was that he starred in both films. The film productions actually were quite far apart. Their stories were different. Did he feel the cast was similar? He said, "A little, maybe both films starred young singers. They both felt like an ensemble. Ultimately some people would repeat."

As for SPLIT's earlier release, William pointed out that his characters were different in two films. In 7 he played a mob boss but in SPLIT he played a ballet instructor. Were the two film stories similar? He only said, "I don't know about other actors' characters. I only knew my own story." William expressed that he will soon have a chance to make a new film with Charlene Choi Cheuk Yin. He said, "I want to have the chance to work with other actors. I leave my singer identity when I act. No matter who the co-star is I give my all. Although these two movies were ensemble films, I never thought about how to make myself stand out." Was he worried that the box office would suffer due to the film's similarities? He said that the cast put an effort into its performance. Hopefully everyone would have good reaction after watching the first one and watch the second one. He also said that he was not afraid of audience confusion. The biggest difference was SPLIT did not have Kay Tse On Kay. He said that during promotion he would be extra careful and avoid saying the wrong title.

No comments:

Post a Comment